The Location Analysis Report allows you to view and compare data for all locations within a larger, central location. For example, you could analyze data for all counties in a state, ZIP Codes in a city, census tracts in a county, and so forth. The Location Analysis Report is helpful for understanding how characteristics - demographics, spending patterns, health, etc., change throughout a geographic area. The data in a Location Analysis Report can be exported and used as a spreadsheet, database, statistical analysis or desktop GIS program.
Click the New Tabular Report button at the top of the SimplyMap window. Select Location Analysis Report. Click Launch Location Analysis Wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to select a location and variable for the report.
You can also create a Location Analysis report without using the wizard:
1. Browse for a Variable by clicking on the Variables Panel:
Click a variable name to add that variable to the report. You will see an indicator that the variable has been added.
For additional options, mouse over a variable in the list and the Action Menu will appear, allowing you to add the variable to the report, to your favorites, change the year, or view metadata.
2. Browse for a Location by clicking on the Locations Panel:
TIP: For future reports you can access recently used locations and variables by selecting Recent from the Locations and Variables menus.
Follow the steps in the Locations Panel to select a location:
- Step 1: Find Location By: Select the appropriate location type from this dropdown.
- Step 2: Enter additional detail as prompted to find the location (state/province, city, county, ZIP/postal code, congressional district, census tracts, block groups, dissemination areas).
- Step 3: Click Use This Location to proceed and you will see an indicator that the location has been added to the report.
The Locations Panel will not close automatically when you select your location. When you are ready to view the data in your report, click the icon to close the Locations Panel.
3. Change Location or Data
Use the menus at the top of the screen to change the location or update the geographic unit that you would like to analyze:
4. Download Report
Once you have the desired data in the report, select Download Table from the Actions Menu. You have the option to either Email or Download the report directly in Excel, .CSV, or .DBF format.