Click the New Map button at the top of the SimplyMap window. SimplyMap’s easy-to-use wizard can walk you through a few quick steps to select the data and location to display in the map. Click Launch Map Wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to get started.
To make a map without using the wizard:
1. Browse for a Variable by clicking on the Variables Panel:
Click a variable name to add that variable to the map. You will see an indicator that the variable has been added.
For additional options, mouse over a variable in the list and the Action Menu will appear, allowing you to add the variable to the map, add the variable to your favorites, change the year, or view metadata.
Mouse over a variable and the Action Menu will appear. Click to use this variable through the Action button or simply click on the variable name. You will see an indicator that the variable has been added.
2. Browse for a Location by clicking on the Locations Panel:
Follow the steps in the Locations Panel to select a location:
- Step 1: Find Location By: Select the appropriate location type from this dropdown.
- Step 2: Enter additional detail as prompted to find the location (state/province, city, county, ZIP/postal code, congressional district, census tracts, block groups, dissemination areas).
- Step 3: Click Use This Location to proceed and you will see an indicator that the location has been added to the map.
The Locations Panel will not close automatically when you select your location. When you are ready to view the data in your map click the icon to close the Locations Panel.
TIP: For future maps you can access recently used locations and variables by selecting Recent from the Locations and Variables menus.